Monday, March 3, 2014

What Will You Give Up for Lent?

Ash Wednesday is this coming Wednesday. As tradition with some religions (including Methodist, if they choose to participate), you are to give up doing/eating something that you really like. In doing so, you are honoring the great sacrifice that Jesus gave for us. What we give up is nothing compared to Him giving up His life for us, so it shouldn't be that hard for us to do. 

The Lenten season lasts from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. That is 40 days. For 40 days you have to give something up. And no, you will not go to Hell if you can't make it all 40 days. Trying is just as good. 

So what can you give up? Lots of things. Some people give up red meat, some people give up fast food. Some give up drinking any kind of soda, where some give up smoking. For kids, it could be their video games or cartoons. My pastor is giving up watching TV on Monday nights because that is when all her favorite shows come on. 

Yes, you can give up something for just one day a week for 40 days. You can give up those Friday nights you go out to dinner, or decide that on Tuesdays you won't smoke a cigarette at all. Or for kids, no cartoons on Saturday mornings. For sports fans, no watching games/races on Sundays (that would be hard!). 

As you give something up, you can take that void and fill it with positive. If you give up something that takes time (tv, cigarettes, video games) why not fill that time by bettering your spiritual life? Instead of games on Sundays or The Bachelor (whatever night that is), why not read the Bible or start a devotional? Think about areas of your life that need improvement and use that time to work on them. Do you have problems, addictions, that you need to work through, shake off? Use this time to reflect and come closer to God and He will help you with your problems. 

For me, what I am going to give up was almost instant. I seriously wanted to give up changing dirty diapers, but no one else will change them! So I am going to give up most all the Internet. I am only going to use it for my blog, checking the news and weather (beings I have no tv), and looking at the pattern I'm using for Layna's christening gown. That means no Facebook, no Pinterest, no eBay or Etsy. I will only use the Internet for things other than what's listed above only if I have to. Giving up the latter two will also mean giving up spending money I don't need to spend. 

This is going to be very hard for me, but I am going to do it. I am going to start reading during the bottle times (except for writing my blog entries). I am going to spend time with the people around me instead of having my nose in my phone (like most people these days....using their phones in church, at funerals, at the dinner table, etc). 

So, I challenge you to participate in the Lenten season and give up something for 40 days. What will you give up? Let me know and 40 days from Wednesday we'll follow up and see how well we all did. Good luck, and God bless you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment