Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Project in the Works

So now that I am a working mom, things have changed drastically. All these plans that I had as a SAHM are a little....altered now. I was planning on trying to craft as much as I could; making chalkboard frames, learning how to sew, even picking back up my photography!

Working 5 days a week, 9 hours a day, and driving 30-45 minutes each way, my time has been drastically cut. When I get home I'm so tired that I just hold Layna and try to stay awake.

I do still plan on doing my photography, especially with Layna. How can I not want to take pictures of my cutie?

There is a project I plan on working on, tho. It is her wooden highchair. Now, I can't say I'm going to be doing a lot of the work myself; my dad has taken it apart, sanded it, put some wood glue where it was needed and is going to varnish it and fix the strap on it. The original plan was to paint it, but Bugz said no. So I was voted out of the painting, and it will keep its original wood color.

Next I have to decide how I want her name applied to the back. At first I thought of painting it, but I don't like that idea in the event it gets used for another child later on (yes, I wouldn't mind another one). So then I thought of my friend Nikki on Facebook and how she does vinyl lettering. This way it could be customized, and when I need to I should be able to remove the vinyl. Now the biggest problem is how I want it to look. Just a name? A frog? A colorful frame around her name? The ideas are endless!

With that, I have to think about my crafting contribution to the chair. I am going to make cleanable (wipe down, not machine wash) placemats for the wooden tray. I found someone online that made them and shared how she made her own pattern. The designs are unlimited, because you use fabric inside the two layers of laminate. Can you imagine me in Hobby Lobby trying to decide on fabrics? I'd have 20 different placemats made! Pink frogs, monkeys, ladybugs, penguin, pink leopard....endless!! I cannot wait till I start getting good paychecks so I can go pick out fabrics. There is also a fabric store over here in Winchester on my way home too. Hmmm.

Anyway, here are the before pictures of the high chair. This is before dad took it apart and sanded it. I purchased it for $20 at a thrift store. Its hard to tell if it's "old" or not, or how old it is, beings its in great shape. I can't wait to get it all finished up for her to use! What I can wait for is her to get big enough to use it. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment